I loathe you roseola....but I love you too!

Ahh...roseola, that common "benign" childhood infection. I really loathe you, you know. You have worn me down this week. But, I also love you, because you gave a diagnosis to a scary week of high high fevers with my little Bryce.

So glad Bryce's party and pictures were over, because Sunday he came down with a high fever (over 102). Monday, even higher....while he was sitting in his high chair at lunch, he began to shiver and his lips turned blue. Didn't care for the blue lips so much. Within 20 minutes they came back pink, but the temp was 104.4. This necessitated a call into the doctor...this particular dr did not seem so concerned (not mine, another one in the practice). I initially wrote this off as a vaccine reaction, but the dr. seemed to think it was just a virus. By the time Bryce awoke from his nap around 5 p.m. it was 105...and this really got my blood pumping. After paging the after hours service I got a call back from another dr in the practice (still not my dr.), who informed to me to take him to the er immediately. So, with many tears shed, off I went to the er!! My neighbor came and got Reagan (who was very upset herself since she didn't understand why momma was so upset!) and we headed downtown.

I would like to say to the medical profession, you shouldn't really call it the "Emergency" Room, because the way you are handled is not with emergent care. I was there for almost 3 hours before I saw a doctor. I had no idea this was how it worked. I have never seen that place so packed (I have walked through the er twice in labor with my kids). And I must say, most people there probably did not "need" to be there, didn't seem like emergencies. Anyhow, we did get in triage within 10 minutes and they administered more motrin. His fever was 103 by the time we arrived, and it broke while we waited for the dr. OF COURSE, by the time we saw the dr., there was no fever and he was acting much more normal. So, they wrote it off as a vaccine reaction and sent us home. Sounds simple, but the emotional toll of those few hours alone were enough to do me in for the week.


But, the fevers did not end there, they continued to come and go, and were not handled well with tylenol and motrin. My little boy just sat on my lap for days, would hardly sleep without me holding him. I was really becoming concerned that something was wrong with him and the poor baby can't tell me. By Tuesday I thought maybe it was a urinary tract infection because he would cry out of nowhere and would be completely inconsolable. So, Wednesday morning brought another call to the dr. requesting an appt to figure this thing out! By the time we left for the dr. the fever was gone (of course!) and just before we left, he broke out with the telling rash all over his body. I was so happy to have a diagnosis.....as well as my peace of mind back. It has basically meant the end of the fevers (Hallelujah!), which has brought glimpses back of my little Bryce. The rash is wreaking havoc on his little body, still sporting it all over today, but I'm thankful that's all it was and I can cuddle him through his crabbiness! And for most of you that know Bryce, he is a VERY contented baby, so to see him continually crabby, I knew he didn't feel well.

So, I'm basically on day 6 of him not feeling well, and I'm just worn out too! I can tell Reagan just needs some attention too, Bryce has needed so much of my time and energy. And I'm just desperate to not be home bound!! So, to roseola, boo to you for striking my 2nd child, but I'm thankful it's just you and no one else!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh yikes Jaime! That, thank the Lord, is one thing I've never had to do - take Drew to the ER by myself!
Sorry to hear you've had such a rough week. Hope this one is MUCH better for you!
Jessie

Popular Posts