this crazy story...

I just have to write this story down, so we can remember!

This past Sunday at church, Jason and I were serving at the welcome area for first time visitors, when Reagan came up to us just sobbing, very upset.  She explained someone had taken her phone during class that morning.

Now, Reagan has my old iPhone, an iPhone 4, and it's not hooked up as a phone, she uses it to text me on wifi and can access the Bible app on it during service.  She sits in a service with 4th, 5th, and 6th graders.  We do go to a large church, so this would have been a large group of kids, many of which she probably does not know.

We headed right up to go take a look and speak with the pastors over that area.  We immediately prayed that this person would feel remorse for their actions and choose to turn the phone in.  We did not find the phone in the room, it was clear someone had taken the phone and not by accident.  The pastors were very apologetic and felt terrible, and I definitely was not upset with them or Reagan.  I knew it was going to be a good lesson for Reagan and it was okay. 

I had it in my mind to send a text to the phone just saying "hey, do the right thing, let's turn it back into the church, and we're all good".   Jason was already thinking and had put the phone into lost mode.  With the awesome Find my iPhone app, we were able to see the phone was STILL in the building...and even it's exact location.  As we headed that way, I kept thinking, "I do not want to have to approach a young person and ask for this phone back".  We get all the way to the other end of the building (it is a very large building), and I tell Jason to start pinging the phone.  I can hear the pinging, and between myself and another bystander, we follow the sound to the GARBAGE CAN, and end up finding the phone at the bottom of it, under some trash.  What in the world?!!   

We were so so thrilled to have recovered the phone, and Reagan was so relieved to have it back in her possession.  We figure a young kid took it, probably realized it was locked, saw it go into lost mode, and the probably still had it when it started making noise and pinging, and they knew they were going to have to get rid of it!  So thankful for technology that we recovered it in the trash nonetheless! 

Reagan has learned a good lesson that it's going to have to stay on her body...and we have been praying for this young person...that their heart would be changed and transformed by the power of Jesus.  What a great ending to a great story! 

Comments

Popular Posts