Goodbye to our Grandma Ruth

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His faithful servants.  Psalm 116:15

I don't think you are ever prepared to say goodbye to someone.  Even just 3 months shy of her 102nd birthday, and I could hardly believe the news of Ruth's passing.

I have so many wonderful pictures and memories of her with Jason and I and our kiddos.  I am so glad my kids got the chance to know her and be around her.

Last Sunday night, we went to visit her, and we quickly found out this wasn't going to be a normal visit.  She was in bed, but sat up with complete joy at Jason and my's arrival.  She was just glowing, which I now know was that she'd been seeing the angels.  As we tried to small talk and make it just a visit, she began just talking of how beautiful I was, how thankful she was for me, how glad she was that I was a part of the family (this is Jason's grandma).  To say I lost it is an understatement.  She continued to tell me that everything was going to be okay and that she was so happy, had no regrets and was ready for heaven.  She held my hand the entire visit (she was never a hand holder).  She was radiant and at peace and I knew this was probably the last time I would see her alive (and it was!). The words she spoke over me were such a gift, such a blessing to me.  We stayed only a few minutes, she thanked us for coming and we left.  I sat in her living room and sobbed.  Happy for her...sad for us.

She initially said she didn't want to see the kiddos, but little Ruthie asked to see her.  As I sat in the basement, I heard Ruthie's footsteps in the room, soon followed with "oh, my little Ruthie".  They were so special to one another.

That was Sunday night and she went to heaven Tuesday morning.  What a life!!

Even at her funeral, her housekeeper just blessed me.  She said when she walked up to the service, she knew exactly who I was because of all the pics gma would show her.  She recounted to me all the times gma told her what a good mom I was and how I should have lots of kids because I was such a good mom.  To think that this woman would first of all think that, and then tell others, this just tore me up at the luncheon.  This woman's words have breathed such life into the 3rd and 4th generation after her!!

So, we said goodbye (for now), and remember with great fondness our Grandma Ruth.  Until heaven...we will dance together!!

One thing I've been pondering is what her words have done for me.  The Bible says the tongue has the power of life and death Proverbs 18:21...and those words have brought great life.  Why not use your words to bring life to someone else today?  Who knows, you might be just the thought or encouragement that person really needs.  Don't wait, do it today!!  Do it in honor of Gma Ruth...we love her so!!



Comments

Popular Posts